The African Democratic Congress (ADC) says the judgment of the Federal High Court nullifying the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)’s May 30 deadline for party primaries has vindicated the party’s earlier objections to the electoral guidelines.
In a statement issued in Abuja on Thursday by Bolaji Abdullahi, national publicity secretary of the party, the ADC said it had strongly opposed aspects of the electoral timetable when they were introduced.
Earlier on Thursday, the federal high court ruled that INEC lacks the statutory powers to abridge timelines expressly provided under the Electoral Act, 2026.
In the judgment delivered by Mohammed Umar, the court nullified timelines issued by the electoral commission for party primaries, submission of candidates’ particulars, withdrawal and substitution of candidates, publication of final candidate lists, and campaign activities for the 2027 elections.
Reacting to the judgment, the ADC said it had specifically challenged the strict timelines for membership registration and the conduct of party primaries.
“The decision of the court on these issues, including those that directly contradict the constitution, is therefore a welcome vindication of our position,” the party said.
The ADC also described the ruling as a positive development for freedom of association. The party argued that the guidelines were designed to discourage politicians from leaving the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
“We believed at the time that that particular restriction was designed to prevent people from leaving the ruling party, APC,” the statement read.
“Now that the court has ruled against it, we are sure that, in the coming days, we will witness a mass exodus from the ruling party.”
The party added that the judgment would strengthen internal democracy and reinforce constitutional rights within Nigeria’s electoral process.
