Donald Trump announced on Sunday that the United States would “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea. Also citing what he described as Seoul’s refusal to participate in the denuclearisation of Iran and his warm personal relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
In a Truth Social post, Trump said the exercises were “costly” and sent signals that were “totally inappropriate and hostile”. Further adding that it was “too late to cancel” as the annual drills were due to begin on Monday. South Korea’s government responded by saying the exercises would proceed “as scheduled.” North Korea had not commented at the time of publication.
Trump Made the Motive Explicit
“I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearisation of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, No thanks,” he wrote.
South Korea’s decision to stay out of the Iran conflict has clearly drawn a response. Trump has expressed similar displeasure with Japan, France, and the United Kingdom for their unwillingness to become directly involved in US hostilities with Iran.
The timing carries additional significance. Trump’s post came less than 24 hours after he shared a photograph of himself and Kim Jong Un from 2019 on social media. Also describing the two as great friends. North Korea this month conducted ballistic missile tests in violation of United Nations resolutions. US and South Korean military leaders had held a joint press conference just days earlier announcing the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises. Further describing them as similar in scale to previous years with around 18,000 South Korean soldiers participating.
This is not the first time Trump has moved to reduce or suspend the drills. He halted them entirely in 2018 during denuclearisation talks with Kim, calling them “provocative” and saying they were costly to the United States. They were scaled back again in 2020 during the Covid-19 pandemic.
For Seoul, Trump’s post carries conflicting signals. South Korea has long hoped Trump would reengage diplomatically with Pyongyang, and his warmth toward Kim raises that possibility. But the same post makes clear Trump is penalising South Korea for not aligning with US military objectives in Iran.
South Korea has approximately 28,500 American military personnel stationed on its territory, a presence Seoul regards as fundamental to its security alliance with the United States. Earlier this year, Seoul committed 350 billion dollars to investing in the US in an effort to manage tensions with Trump’s administration. Last year, its president described Trump publicly as a peacemaker.