Zambia Opposition Figures Arrested After Presidential Election

Zambian authorities have arrested 11 people, including senior opposition figures, over an alleged plot to overthrow the government. This comes days after a closely contested presidential election that is still being counted.

The arrests followed a security operation in Lusaka during which authorities said weapons, ammunition and other military equipment were recovered. Government officials alleged that those detained were connected to plans involving foreign nationals, illegal military training camps and an armed insurrection.

Among those reportedly found at the location was Brian Mundubile, the leading opposition candidate in last Thursday’s presidential election. Mundubile has rejected the government’s allegations as fabricated and accused security forces of staging an assassination attempt at his home.

Mundubile’s Account

Speaking to the BBC, Mundubile said armed personnel arrived at his residence on Friday with an armoured vehicle, destroyed the entrance and broke into the property before opening fire. He alleged that two shots were directed at him and claimed he survived only by chance.

“They came in to kill us,” Mundubile said.

He further alleged that former minister Mutotwe Kafwaya was shot during the operation while he and his wife were at the house. According to Mundubile, Kafwaya was bleeding heavily and he appealed to the security personnel to take him to hospital. His current whereabouts have not been established.

Mundubile said his family had been left traumatised by the incident and had not returned home since the raid.

“My children saw their uncle… bleeding profusely and being dragged like an animal,” he said, describing the presence of about 80 soldiers at the property.

The Government’s Account

The government’s account of the operation is markedly different. Zambia’s Secretary to the Cabinet, Patrick Kangwa, said those arrested were linked to what he described as “military plans involving foreign nationals and illegal military training camps”.

Kangwa said the suspects possessed high-grade weapons and ammunition that were allegedly intended for an armed uprising. He also claimed that the security forces came under fire during the operation, resulting in an exchange of gunfire.

Mundubile denied that any militia or armed group was present at his home. Further accusing senior government officials of deliberately spreading false information.

Among those arrested was reportedly Patrick Mwansa, the husband of Tasila Lungu, daughter of former President Edgar Lungu. Other politicians were also detained, with the suspects being held at different police stations across Lusaka.

The arrests come as Mundubile trails President Hakainde Hichilema in the presidential count. Results from more than half of Zambia’s constituencies have so far been announced, with Hichilema holding about 62% of the vote against Mundubile’s 36%.

Mundubile had already claimed victory after Thursday’s election, citing his campaign’s parallel vote tabulation, while alleging that irregularities had affected the official process. He has not provided detailed evidence to support those claims, and authorities have rejected allegations of widespread vote rigging.

Observations from International Missions

The election itself was initially described by observers as largely peaceful and orderly. Although international missions raised concerns about the political environment in which it was conducted.

The European Union’s chief election observer, Michael McNamara, said the election was “genuinely competitive” but took place within an “uneven” political environment. He pointed to what he described as a blurring of the distinction between the ruling party and the state, including heavily biased coverage by state media.

The Southern African Development Community (SADC) observer mission also expressed concern after Zambia’s electoral commission briefly suspended vote counting on Friday.

The Electoral Commission of Zambia said the suspension was necessary because of reports of violence against polling officials and the theft of marked ballot papers. Counting resumed later the same day after authorities said the security threat had been contained.

Both the EU and SADC said the interruption had created uncertainty. SADC described the suspension as a development that had generated “uncertainty and anxiety”. While the EU said any interruption to the electoral process should be properly explained, supported by law and proportionate to the circumstances.

Mundubile has made several other allegations since the election. Some of which include claims of military involvement at vote-tallying centres and irregularities involving ballot boxes. He also said he had been interrogated by army officers over two videos he released. Also alleging that he was assaulted while in custody. Authorities denied the allegations.

He further accused Tanzania of sending people into Zambia to interfere with the election. A claim the Tanzanian government rejected as false and unfounded.

The Current Situation

For now, the political situation remains relatively calm, although security has been increased in parts of Lusaka following the arrests. The government’s insurrection allegations have nevertheless introduced a new source of tension. However, Zambia awaits the final presidential result.

Hichilema is seeking a second five-year term, while Mundubile is among 13 candidates who contested the presidency. The outcome of the remaining vote count will determine whether Hichilema secures another term or not.

READ ALSO: https://alo360.net/kushner-hamas-egypt-gaza-peace-plan-2026/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *