The presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Atiku Abubakar, has declared that the 2027 presidential election will be his final attempt to become Nigeria’s President.
The former Vice President made the declaration on Thursday during a Facebook Live session. Atiku said that regardless of the outcome of the 2027 election, he would not seek the presidency again after next year’s election.
“Whether I win or lose, 2027 will be my last time contesting for the presidency,” he said.
The former Vice President acknowledged his previous attempts to clinch the presidency but maintained that the 2027 election would be his last opportunity to contest for the nation’s highest political office. Atiku’s declaration comes as political activities and preparations for the 2027 presidential election continue to gather momentum.
Atiku Accuses Tinubu Over Academic Certificates
During the live session, Atiku also renewed his allegations concerning President Bola Tinubu’s academic qualifications. The ADC presidential candidate claimed that Tinubu’s academic certificates were forged and said he stood by his earlier position on the matter.
“I was the one who raised the issue surrounding President Bola Tinubu’s academic certificates, and I stand by my position that there was forgery,” Atiku said.
He argued that it was unacceptable for the President of Nigeria to face questions over his academic qualifications.
“It is unacceptable for the President of Nigeria to have such questions surrounding his academic credentials.”
Atiku has previously raised concerns over Tinubu’s academic records. He said he remains convinced that the issue requires serious attention.
Atiku Promises to Restore Fuel Subsidy
In another part of the interview, Atiku promised to restore fuel subsidy if he wins the 2027 presidential election. He made the pledge while responding to questions in an interview circulating on social media. The former Vice President criticised the economic impact of the removal of petrol subsidy under President Tinubu. He argued that Nigerians had yet to see sufficient benefits from the policy.
Tinubu announced the removal of the petrol subsidy during his inaugural address on May 29, 2023, shortly after assuming office. The decision led to a sharp increase in petrol prices. It also contributed to higher transportation costs, which affected the prices of food, goods and other services.
The Federal Government, however, has continued to defend the decision to remove the subsidy. It has argued that the policy created more resources for the three tiers of government. The government has also pointed to infrastructure projects and other programmes as some of the benefits of its economic reforms.
Atiku, however, questioned how the savings from the subsidy removal had been utilised. He noted that he initially did not oppose the removal of the subsidy. According to him, developments since the policy was implemented changed his position. The former Vice President said Nigerians should be able to see clear benefits from the money saved through the removal of the subsidy.
His latest comments place fuel subsidy among the major economic issues likely to feature prominently in the 2027 presidential campaign.
Read also: Atiku Vows to Restore Fuel Subsidy If Elected President in 2027