A deadly gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China has triggered a massive rescue operation.
At least 90 people have died after a gas explosion struck the Liushenyu Coal Mine in Shanxi, according to Chinese state media.
The mine, operated by the Tongzhou Group, exploded at around 7:29 p.m. local time on Friday while 247 workers were reportedly on duty underground.
Hundreds of emergency workers and medical teams have been deployed to the site as rescue efforts continue. State media footage showed paramedics carrying stretchers while ambulances waited outside the mine.
Chinese authorities said dangerous levels of carbon monoxide were detected after the blast, though the exact cause of the explosion remains under investigation.
Xi Jinping ordered officials to spare no effort in treating the injured, searching for survivors and investigating the disaster. He also called for accountability against those found responsible.
Officials linked to the coal mine have reportedly been detained following the incident.
China’s Ministry of Emergency Management said 345 rescue personnel from specialist teams had been sent to assist operations.
Mining accidents were once common in China, especially during the early 2000s, but the country has since tightened safety regulations.
The Shanxi disaster is now one of China’s deadliest mining accidents in recent years.