FG begins payment of foreign scholarship allowances after students’ outcry

Tunji Alausa

Federal Ministry of Education says the federal government has commenced payment of outstanding allowances for Nigerian students studying abroad under the Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) scholarship programme.

In a statement issued on Tuesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations at the ministry, the government said the approved funds had been remitted to Nigerian embassies and missions for disbursement to beneficiaries.

Earlier, Nigerian students studying in Russia under the scholarship scheme accused the federal government of abandoning them, saying they had not received stipends for months and were struggling to survive.

According to the ministry, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has successfully transferred the funds to embassy accounts.

The statement said the released funds cover 50 percent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025.

REMAINING BALANCE TO BE CLEARED

Tunji Alausa, minister of education, said efforts were ongoing to clear the remaining balance.

“The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” Alausa said.

Furthermore, the minister advised affected students to monitor their accounts as the payments begin to reflect.

He added that the development reflects the commitment of Bola Ahmed Tinubu to the welfare of Nigerian students abroad under the Renewed Hope Agenda.

“The federal government remains committed to fulfilling legitimate obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies that promote quality education, student welfare and national human capital development,” the statement added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *