Oyo school abduction an isolated criminal act, DHQ dismisses Gani Adams’ terrorism claim

Defense headquarters

Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says the abduction of pupils and teachers in Oyo state was an isolated criminal incident and not evidence of an entrenched terrorist presence in the south-west.

In a statement issued on Wednesday by Michael Onoja, director of defence media operations, the military dismissed claims that terrorists have established operational bases across the region.

Earlier, Gani Adams, Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland, alleged that terrorists had infiltrated about 40 local government areas in the south-west.

Adams also said he had repeatedly warned about the influx of terrorists into the region over the past two years.

Reacting to the claim, the DHQ said current intelligence reports do not support the existence of any permanent terrorist structure in the south-west.

“It is pertinent to state that the incident was an isolated criminal act and does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region,” the statement read.

The military said troops had earlier conducted clearance operations in the Old Oyo National Park corridor, neutralising criminal elements operating within the area.

“Current intelligence assessments do not support the conclusion that any structured or permanent terrorist base exists within the forests or hinterlands of the South West region,” the statement added.

The DHQ warned against narratives capable of creating panic among residents or exaggerating the strength of criminal groups.

“Criminal elements, however audacious their recent activities, do not constitute an established insurgent presence,” it said.

The military also assured residents that troops are actively pursuing the abductors and searching for the victims.

According to the statement, troops recently made contact with the criminals and have continued coordinated operations across forest areas in the region.

“Troops made contact with the criminal elements two days ago, have since reorganized, and are continuing the search and pursuit operations with full determination,” the DHQ said.

The military added that security agencies are collaborating with local vigilantes and communities to gather intelligence needed for rescue operations.

The statement also conveyed the sympathy of Olufemi Oluyede, chief of defence staff, to families of the victims and the government of Oyo State over the attack on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Community Grammar School and L.A. Primary School in Oriire local government area.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will not relent until every abducted victim is safely recovered, the criminal networks responsible are dismantled, and normalcy is fully restored,” the statement added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *